Are you uncertain if you’re unhappy? Do you wonder if it’s unhappiness or just restlessness and a vague unease with your life as it is? Here are five signs that you might be unhappy and not just in a rut.
- You’re disappointed with life. This isn’t the life you thought you’d live when you were younger. You don’t know what happened, but something somewhere went awry. Maybe you love certain aspects of your life, but overall, you’re disappointed with how things have turned out.
- You don’t feel like you’re [good, smart, thin, fill in the blank] enough. You’re always comparing yourself to others and feeling that you don’t measure up. This can take any number of forms, from being upset with your parenting skills to your income, from feeling like you’re ugly to wishing you were a saint. The blank can be filled with any attribute you can assign to a human being. This is a sure sign that you’re not happy with who you are.
- You wish you were someone else. You see other people whose lives seem to be better than your own and wish you could trade places, even if it’s just for a day. The other people don’t have to be rich or famous, either; you might just wish to trade places with the co-worker who always seems to have it together or the friend who has the happy marriage you crave.
- You feel trapped. Nothing is going to change anytime soon and nothing you can do will change it. You can’t get out. You feel like a caged lion. You want to run free and can’t. This feeling can range from a quiet sense of unease to sheer panic and can vary from time to time. It can also manifest as anxiety or depression.
- You feel like life is meaningless. What’s the point of everything? Nothing matters. You go through life on automatic pilot, completing task after task, but nothing seems to have meaning. It’s all useless. You feel hollow, empty, and bleak about life in general. There are things you’d like to do, but really, what’s the point?
If any or several of these signs are familiar, you’re deeply unhappy with your life and have been hiding it from yourself.
This is common, especially when you seem to have a good life. It’s time to admit you’re unhappy and start changing things.